Antioxidants in Skincare
Updated: Jan 9, 2020
If you are a skincare addict you most likely know that all the anti-aging skin care contain some antioxidants, which your skin loves. Let’s find out why.
Antioxidants are compounds that neutralize or lessen the effects of free radicals. Including antioxidants in your skincare helps to fight free radical damage. Antioxidants are the key to youthful, healthy skin.
Antioxidants are found in a variety of plants in the form of vitamins A, C and E and selenium.
Antioxidants help to prevent and visibly improve signs of aging, brighten dark spots, help to boost collagen production, protect skin from UV damage, tone and firm the skin, have anti-inflammatory properties, increase moisture retention.
Here are some powerful antioxidants you can find in your favorite serums and creams:
- Vitamin C (L-Ascorbic Acid) - brightens hyperpigmentation, boosts collagen production, hydrates the skin.
- Vitamin A (Retinol) - slows down aging by stimulating collagen production, reduces appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, improves texture of the skin.
- Vitamin E (Tocopherol) - moisturizes the skin, helps to accelerate healing of the skin, has inti-inflammatory properties and keeps skin soft and supple.
- Niacinamide (vitamin B3) - powerful antioxidant - helps to tone the skin.
- Coenzyme Q10 (Ubiquinone) - helps to improve texture and elasticity of the skin, protects skin from UV damage.
There is also an endless list of powerful natural antioxidants such as Camu Camu fruit extract, Astaxanthin, Marula oil, Indian Gooseberry extract, Green Tea leaf extract and many more that you can find in organic and natural skincare products.
Don’t forget that eating superfoods that are rich in antioxidants (berries, citrus fruits, nuts and seeds, green tea, yoghurt) also help to support skin’s health, fight free radicals and slow down aging.